The Estes 4606 Proto X Nano will certainly be a great choice to consider when looking for a quadcopter with a small body. This is a very small device that is less than half an ounce in weight and just a little less than two inches in length on each side. This is what makes it a fantastic option for indoor use.
Note: The Estes 4606 Proto X Nano is an RTF or Ready-to-Fly quadcopter. This means that it can be operated as soon you charge up its battery. However, the battery must be treated carefully as it is not a replaceable part. In addition, it is best to use this based on its original standards.
This appealing small drone has a good arrangement with a PCB frame and a series of durable rotor blades that are carefully organized. It also comes with a very easy to use controller and even features a variety of different colors for you to choose from.
- Features: Plastic body with window and trim detail LED light indicates front and back of the heli and also helps in low light flying 4-channel 2.4GHz
- Includes: RTF Proto X Nano Quadcopter, 2.4GHz Radio, LiPo Battery, USB Charge Cord, 4 spare rotor blades and Instructions
- Requires: AAA Batteries: Two for transmitter
You will love trying this quadcopter out when you’re looking to learn more about how drones work and the principles of controlling one. The small body and simple design on this option makes it easier for you to learn, thus making it perfect for all newcomers.
The packaging for this quadcopter is rather simple. It includes the following items:
- The actual Estes 4606 Proto X Nano quadcopter with a built-in LiPo battery
- A 2.4GHz radio transmitter
- 4 replacement blades; two are white and the others are black
- A USB charger
- Two AAA batteries for the transmitter
- An instruction manual
Once you open the box, you don’t need anything else to get the quadcopter up and running. Still, you will need two AAA batteries for your transmitter and a screwdriver to remove and secure the replacement blades if needed.
You will need a powered-up USB port to charge the quadcopter and any USB port will work so long as it is designed to power devices.
Design & durability
The small body of the Estes 4606 Proto X Nano is the most noteworthy feature of this quadcopter. The device is 1.8 inches or 45mm in length and width. It is also 0.4 ounces or 11.5g in weight making it suitable for indoor use. In fact, the lightweight body makes it so the transmitter can use smaller AAA batteries instead of bigger AA ones.
Estes heavily promotes that this drone is about the size of a quarter. This makes it very portable but the user will still have to be very careful in order to see where the drone goes. Fortunately this does have a few lights on its body.
The body is made of plastic to keep its weight down. The design also has a slightly rectangular base although the rotors are all the same distance apart from one another. The quadcopter’s rotors work to keep the unit in the air as evenly as possible without risking the quadcopter wobbling around.
A few lights can be found on the quadcopter as well. These include lights right on the base and the rotors. These will light up as the quadcopter is in use, thus making it easier for people to see. These lights are easy to spot at a closer distance.
This is also designed to come in a variety of colors like black, red, white, purple, green and yellow colors. The particular color works on the rotors and base while the plastic material that connects the rotors to the base is black. The blades are black and white as well but all these colors actually blend together remarkably well.
Battery and flight time
The Proto X Nano drone uses a lithium-ion polymer battery (or LiPo) that is very light in weight. Even more, it has a higher discharge rate than most batteries on the market allowing it to deliver a large amount of power to the quadcopter, thus boosting the propelling force.
This is a 100mAh 3.7V battery and it only offers about five minutes of flight time on average. Fortunately, it only takes about fifty minutes for the battery to be fully charged.
Still, there are concerns about the overall lifespan of the battery. LiPo batteries are known to die off after a few hundred charges, meaning that they will weaken to where the battery will no longer function as well as it should.
The battery cannot be replaced either nor can it be removed. It is fully embedded into the main base of the quadcopter. It is true that Estes offers replacement batteries but those are designed for other models. Even more, opening up this miniature drone and trying to remove the battery is a risky operation that may have a negative impact on the integrity of the body.
The controller is also very small and implements only a few controls. Thus:
- The left stick is used to adjust the rudder while the right stick moves it forward and backward.
- The throttle button is used to adjust the elevation of the quadcopter and it can also set it to hover in its place.
The controller is also slightly stiff at first but it will loosen up after a few uses. It also works on a four-channel 2.4GHz digital frequency and it does not use infrared technology.
Therefore, the quadcopter will not bind up and it will not be subjected to interference from any other quadcopters in the area. You could actually use multiple quadcopters in the same room.
There are a few good points to see when it comes to using the Estes 4606 Proto X Nano quadcopter:
- The gyro feature on the quadcopter keeps it very stable.
- It has a range of about 30 meters or about 100 feet. This should be good enough for use in most indoor situations.
- It can travel as fast as 10 feet per minute. This is fast enough to allow the quadcopter to keep running but still good enough to where it will not be all that hard to manage.
- The transmitter operates on a dime and keeps the quadcopter from dragging too far. This especially works quickly to protect it from bumping into walls or other obstacles.
- The small support materials on the bottom of the quadcopter allow this to be supported as it is ready to take off. It will take off evenly and carefully. In addition, the support materials will allow this to land carefully onto a flat surface. It is best for users to take off and land on flat and even surfaces.
- The rotors should work well together although there is always a risk that one rotor might stop working.
- This should still work even after it gets wet for any reason. It is best to avoid getting it wet though as the moisture could add more weight onto the quadcopter than necessary, thus keeping it from moving well.
The drone should be very easy to use and work with. It does not run far too quickly and should especially be simple for you to control with ease.
Value for money and guarantee
The Estes 4606 Proto X Nano quadcopter comes with a value of $29.99 in most places. Estes particularly has a set list price of $35.99 but most retail sites have it for a little less than that.
Estes has not listed any particular guarantees or warranties on the product. This means that the user will have to be careful when using this drone. It is also important to use it only as specified without trying to alter it or adjust it in some manner.
There are several additional points about the Estes 4606 Proto X Nano that deserve to be mentioned. These are as follows:
- The rotors are extremely responsive and will adjust themselves while on the fly with ease.
- The lights are evenly organized around the entire body of the quadcopter, thus allowing it to be easy to use.
- The USB charger on this model is compact and generates enough of a charge to allow the battery to be ready for use in about an hour.
- The design allows it to move evenly and carefully without being too complicated.
Similar models or main competitors
Hubsan X4 H107C
There are plenty of other models out there that compete with the Estes 4606 Proto X Nano, and the Hubsan X4 H107C is one of these. This is a 2.17-inch or 55mm model, thus making it a little larger in size. It is made of plastic materials similar to what the Estes quadcopter implements so it will easily fly around without any problems.
This model flies longer, at about seven to ten minutes, on a charge. It also takes about thirty minutes for the battery to be charged up. However, it works with the same operating range as the Estes model at about 100m.
The H107C operates with a 2-megapixel 720p HD camera, a feature that the Estes quadcopter does not include. It also works with a microSDHC card to store the data based on what the camera sees. Continuing the comparison, it does use similar controls to the Estes quadcopter and it also works with LED lights to make it easier to spot in any situation.
The Hubsan quadcopter costs $69.99 at its base value. We consider the Hubsan to be a better version (when compared with the Estes quad) but, if you don’t need a camera and you’re not prepared to stretch your budget, the Estes quad is the perfect answer.
Like this amazing product? Then you can buy it on Amazon.
Skytoy Micro Drone 3D Flip
The Skytoy Micro Drone 3D Flip is obviously different from other models in that it has six rotors instead of four. It is still a very small model and this is why we chose to compare it with the Estes quad. It is about 85 by 95 by 20mm in size and it also operates with an 180mAh LiPo battery that works with a bit of extra power.
This small hexacopter can fly for about five to seven minutes on a single charge and it takes about thirty minutes for the battery to be fully charged up by the USB charger that it comes with.
The drone operates with a range of about 100m and can fly up to 30m in height which is better than what the Estes offers. It also has a headless mode that allows you to fly the drone into any direction want to follow. In fact, the transmitter is almost identical to what the Estes unit uses, thus making it very easy to control. It also works with the same 2.4GHz frequency, just like the Estes model.
A one key return feature is also included allowing the drone to return to its original location. This works provided that it is within the range of the transmitter that is controlling it.
The drone currently sells for about $39.99 in most places and is quite popular among users who are looking for miniature drones.
Like this product? Then you can buy it on Amazon.
TEC.BEAN Mini Pocket Drone
The TEC.BEAN Mini Pocket Drone is clearly unique in that it has a small body that can actually fit within its controller. Since it’s so small, the drone is equipped with a series of circular rotors and blade guards. However, these are optional and you only use them if you want.
This quadcopter is about 70mm in size on each end and it weighs about 13g when the battery is included. It uses a 3.7V 100mAh battery that will only run for about four to five minutes on average. It also takes about thirty minutes for the quadcopter battery to be charged up.
This quad uses a four-channel 2.4GHz connection to keep interferences from being a threat. A USB charger is included to help with charging the drone. There are also a few lights around the body of the drone allowing it to be seen from a distance.
The drone can be controlled by about 50m from the transmitter’s location and it implements a series of flat materials on the bottom to make it easier to be launched from the air.
The transmitter also has a few extra control features when compared with other models. It offers a 3D flip feature and a one key return button to bring it back to the transmitter.
This quadcopter costs about $22.99 in most cases which is a rather affordable option for a smaller drone that has a good series of control features to it.
Like this product? Then you can check its price here.
This drone is designed particularly for users who like flying drones indoors and users who want to learn how to use a drone. Due to the rather simple transmitter design and the fact that is very easy to use, the Estes can be offered as a gift to kids or total noobs in the world of drones.
The best part is that you won’t have to do anything to get this up other than just getting the battery charged. Everything in the drone is fully set up and ready to use.
- The frame on this drone is very well organized and is especially sturdy.
- It can work in a variety of indoor settings.
- It is very easy for the controller to be used. It is organized properly and is not overly confusing.
- The lights make this easy to see in many situations.
- This uses a series of supports on the bottom to help make it easier for the drone to take off and land as needed.
- The USB charger works quickly to get the battery to charge up in less than an hour.
- Because of its small size, it is best to avoid using this drone outdoors.
- It doesn’t have as much of a range or battery power as other models in the market.
- The battery lasts for an extremely short time before it has to be charged again.
- It does not have a camera or other special features.
- It does not come with any guards to protect the rotors or blades to keep them from being damaged in the event that it bumps into something. In fact, any contacts with a surface could result in damages depending on the speed of the drone.
The Estes 4606 Proto X Nano is a great choice when you’re looking for a smaller drone that you can pilot indoors.
It is an easy to use option that is especially easy to control and can operate right after a brief charging period. It can make for an exciting option to have when finding something fun and small or for when you’re looking to learn how to use a drone.